We’ve created the ultimate burger recipe for you to cook at home!
So as barbecue season rolls around you’ll now be armed with a flavour-packed, plant-based whole food burger recipe to show off to your pals. Can also be turned into meatballs or any other mince-based dish.
- 250g tinned black beans
- 50g mushrooms (shiitake are meatiest, but any will work), diced
- 40g basmati or brown rice, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.5 medium onion, finely diced
- 20g oat flakes, blended into powder
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 30g finely chopped and toasted walnuts
- 0.25 tsp oregano
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.5 tsp fennel seeds
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions
- Put a frying pan over a medium heat and that the cumin and fennel seeds for 30 seconds, then add oil and fry off the onion for 5 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes more
- Stir through the black beans, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and tomato puree and cook for a further minute to infuse the flavours
- Place into a large mixing bowl and mince the mixture with a fork or masher, until you have a mince like consistency, with the odd few bits of chunky veg
- Stir through the oat flakes to bind. If the mixture is still quite wet and doesn’t hold it’s shape, simply add more oat flakes as needed
- Dust the burgers off in a little flour and you’re ready to go! We recommend frying in a frying pan with hot oil, but you could barbecue or oven roast too. Delicious in a vegan brioche with slaw, charred pineapple and your fave burger sauces. Enjoy!